There are so many different online slots games out there that it can be overwhelming trying to decide what to play. Because the variation is so great, there’s a good chance you’ll find a game for you no matter what your taste and preferences might be.
Learning your different options will help you decide on the best game to suit you and this is where we can help. We will go through the different slot game categories here and recommend the best games for each one.
Mr Green Review
Gala Casino Review
Casino Room Review
William Hill Vegas Review
Slots Café Review
Here are the main slot game types:
- 3-reel slots: Often referred to as classic slots, these old style pub fruit machine type games are great for retro lovers and traditionalists. Three reel slots are based on a simple formula and they don’t usually come with much in the way of special features so they’re great if you’re a newcomer to the world of online slots and want an easy introduction. To play a three-reel slot game you just need to place your bet and spin the reels. If the symbols on the payline match a winning combination you’ll receive a payout. Some of the top NetEnt three reel slots include Gold Rush, Jackpot 6000 and Mega Joker.
- Video slots: Once you’ve spent some time playing the three reel slots you may find you’re ready for something a bit more interesting and this is where video slots come in. Most video slots are based on a five-reel format so there are a few more ways to win. They also come in a variety of themes, many of which are linked to popular movies and TV shows. Some examples include Aliens, Scarface and South Park. Because of those extra reels, video slots have more chances to win and they often come with extra features like Wilds, Scatters and bonus rounds.
- 3–reel vs. 5-reel slots: Three reel and five reel slots may seem similar but they are actually quite different. If you’re looking for a traditional slot game that’s simple to play and doesn’t offer much in the way of a payout you’ll be best off with a three-reel slot. If you’re looking for a faster paced, more exciting game, possibly with a theme and a bigger payout, you’ll probably be better off with a five-reel slot game.
- 243 ways to win slots: Rather than sticking to dedicated paylines like you’ll find on classic slots and fruit machines, 243 ways to win games enable all possible paylines to give players even more of a chance of winnings. As long as you get a winning combination of symbols anywhere on the reels you’ll get a payout, making these games some of the most fun and lucrative ones out there. The top NetEnt 243 slot game is Twin Spin.
- Progressive Slots: If you’re after a big payout you’ll want to check out the progressive slot games at your favourite casino. Progressive slots use a pooled jackpot that’s connected across a network of online casinos. Each time a player makes a wager on the game, a portion of that wager goes into the jackpot, which just keeps on rising until one lucky winner scoops up the lot. Progressive jackpot wins can be life changing and often you don’t need a big initial stake to win. Unlike standard three and five reel slot games, most progressive jackpot games are more complex and involve a bonus round or extra game to trigger the big win. The top NetEnt jackpot games are Mega Fortune, Arabian Nights and Hall of Gods.
Odds differences between slot types
The odds of any online slot game vary depending on both the individual game and the type of game you’re playing. As a general rule there are different odds for different types of slot games – this is important to be aware of if you’re hoping to get a big win or make your bankroll go that much further when you’re playing:
One problem with calculating the odds for different types of slots is that slot games are bound by random number generators. This means they are set to pay out a certain percentage of their takings to players and this won’t vary. As a rule the more payout lines there are, the more winning combinations there are so the bigger your chance of getting a payout. Following this rule five reel slots will have better odds than three reel games but if you add in features like expanding wilds, scatters and bonus rounds, it gives you even more chances of winning.
The different types on mobile
NetEnt is known for its excellent mobile platform. Through NetEnt Touch, there are hundreds of quality slot games available, including three reel, five reel, progressive slots, video slots and many more. Some of the top NetEnt mobile games include Gonzo’s Quest, Mega Fortune, Dracula and Aliens.
Most NetEnt Touch games are compatible with iOS and Android devices and they’re available through browser-based play, making them easy to load up and play as long as you have a reasonable Internet connection and an up to date device.
Conclusion: Which type should you play?
If you are a traditionalist who enjoys playing pub style fruit machines you’ll probably enjoy playing three reel slots. These are great for beginners too because they are simple to get to grips with and often provide lower payouts more often. Once you’ve got the hang of them or if you feel like something a bit more challenging you can progress to other games.
If you like faster paced action and you want to play a game with a fun theme, you’ll probably like video slots. There are some great payouts available on some of these games and they are a lot of fun to play. Those in search of that big payout will love playing progressive jackpots and the thrill of chasing that multi million pound payout.