If you like poker you’ll love online video poker. It’s fast, fun and you can play at any time, from anywhere. With its overall simplicity and multitude of exciting variations, it’s easy to see why video poker is so popular with UK players.
*T&C’s apply to each of the offers below, 18+ new customer offer, begambleaware.org, click “Play Now” for more details.
Mr Green Review
Gala Casino Review
Casino Room Review
William Hill Vegas Review
Slots Café Review
Video poker basics
One of the great advantages of playing video poker over the traditional version is that it is somewhat simplified. Video poker is basically a cross between poker and slots – there is some skill and strategy required but nothing like table poker and you don’t have to worry about your poker face.
There are a few different variations of video poker, which I will cover in more depth later on, but most video poker games are played with a 52 card standard deck. Players get dealt five cards and then they decide which ones to keep and which to discard. The casino then supplies them with new cards and they get paid depending on the value of what they have left.
How to play online video poker
Video poker is very easy to learn and while there is a bit of strategy involved, it’s a lot less complicated than traditional table poker, making it a great game for beginners.
Here are the steps to playing online video poker:
- Choose your game. Most online casinos offer multiple video poker games, so the first step is to pick the version you want to play.
- Once you’ve navigated to your game of choice, you need to first place your bet by choosing a coin size and how many coins you want to bet on each game.
- Click on the deal button to start playing.
- Look at the five cards you have been given and decide which ones you want to keep or “hold” and which ones you want to exchange for different ones. Click on the cards you want to keep and then press draw to replace the others.
- This is your final hand. If it’s a winning hand you will be paid out, if not you can always try again!
Odds in Video Poker
The odds are one of the main reasons why video poker is so popular. It’s one of the few online casino games that have a very low house edge and if players have an understanding of the odds and strategy, they can reduce this house edge to virtually nothing. There are a number of different versions of video poker and the odds vary between them so it’s always a good idea to check before you get started.
If a game has odds of 9/6 it means you’ll be able to potentially win £9 with a £1 stake if you get a full house hand. This is excellent when compared with other online casino games. Other online video poker games can potentially offer you a return of over 100% and these are well worth looking out for. If you look at the paytable and find a full house pays 10x what you wagered, the flush pays 7/1 and straight hand is 5/1 you’ll be looking at a potential payout of 100.2%.
Once you’ve decided on a game, the expertise and strategy part of video poker comes in knowing which cards to discard and which to keep. If you’ve done your homework and have a basic understanding of strategy the rest will come with experience.
There are a number of different video poker variations and this can be confusing when you’re just getting started. To make it easier to decide what to play, here are a few details about the most common types:
- Deuces Wild: In this variation of video poker, twos are wild which gives you more of a chance of getting a winning hand.
- Jacks or Better: This is one of the most common games you can find online – it’s simple and it generally offers good payouts.
- Aces and Eights: With this game you get a payout for getting four of a kind for aces, eights and sevens.
- Double Bonus: This game features two bonus payouts – four aces will get you a payout of 800 coins and four 2, 3 or 4s get you 400 coins.
- Jokers Wild: This game features an extra card as it includes the joker, which is wild, giving players an extra chance to win.
If you’re not sure what to play, you can always try a few different versions and see which one works the best for you. You can also play video poker for free, which will let you get to grips with different variations without any risk. After a few practice hands you will probably feel more confident to play video poker for real money.
Video Poker is a fun, fast paced game that most online casino players love. With its low house edge, excellent payouts and fun format, there are plenty of reasons to give it a go. There are plenty of great video poker casinos around and the more you play, the better you will get.