While it used to be that you could only play American Roulette in an American casino, these days it’s available online from just about anywhere in the world. Here are the best American Roulette casinos for 2017.
What is American Roulette?
If you’ve played roulette before you will probably be familiar with the standard wheel, the black and red squares and the numbers. American Roulette works on the same principles as other forms of roulette in that players spin the wheel, the ball drops and clatters around and you bet on where you think it will land.
While other forms of roulette have 37 pockets where it’s possible for the ball to land, American Roulette has an extra pocket, labelled 00. So when you make a bet the ball could land on red or black, odd or even, or it could end up in this extra pocket in which case the house will win.
American roulette vs. regular roulette
While it might look the same at the outset, American Roulette comes with one glaring disadvantage when it’s compared to regular roulette. The extra pocket means that this game has a significantly higher house edge than other variants of roulette. This puts the player at a huge disadvantage.
In regular roulette, there is a single green pocket, marked with a 0. If the ball lands there, it’s a win for the house. Because there are two pockets for the house in American roulette it increases the house edge and decreases the player odds.
This house edge is why European roulette is much more popular than American roulette outside the US. However, American roulette is still a lot of fun, especially for players who like a challenge, although if you’ve got your eye on a big payout, you’re going to be a lot better off playing European roulette every time.
How to play American Roulette online
Once you’ve found a reputable roulette casino and a game you want to play, the next stage is to get started. Playing American roulette online is very easy and straightforward:
1. Select your bet size. This can be done by using the up and down arrows by the game.
2. Decide what to bet on. You will have the choice between a number of different bets including an individual number, odds or evens, black or red and other combinations of bets depending on what’s offered.
3. Spin the wheel. Once you’ve got your bet amount and type, you’re ready to spin. Watch the ball bounce around and wait to see where it lands.
4. If you win, you will get a payout that will be automatically placed into your casino account, if not you can decide whether to take a break or give it another try.
Online American roulette playing tips
While American roulette is a fairly simple game to get to grips with, there are a few different roulette betting systems that you might want to be aware of. Roulette is a game of chance but if you understand how the bets work you can play in such a way that you increase your chances of winning and decrease the house edge.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Have a practice run for free: Before you start to place your bets and play for real money, it’s always a good idea to play for free for a few rounds to get the hang of the game. This is especially true if you’ve not played American roulette before. By playing for free you can try out a few different betting systems and find out what works best for you, in a totally risk free way.
- Bet red or black: When you’re getting started you want to keep it simple at first, and choosing either red or black gives you a good chance of winning. If complicated betting systems aren’t your way to go, a simple red or black bet lets you experience the thrill and excitement of roulette without putting too much at risk.
- Don’t chase your losses: Because American roulette comes with a higher house edge, overall you’re most likely to lose. It’s important that you are careful in your bankroll management and focus on fun rather than trying to get rich playing American roulette. If you have a bad run of luck it’s usually best to call it quits, take a break and come back later.
Play roulette for free!
If you’re still not sure about American roulette you can give it a try completely free here with our free flash game! Try it today and experience the fun and excitement of American roulette for yourself.
Try out different versions, test out different betting systems and enjoy the thrill of anticipation as you watch that ball fly around the wheel. The only downside to American roulette is the high house edge, so it’s a game that is definitely better played for fun than with the goal of making any serious cash. As long as you keep it in perspective, you can have a lot of fun playing American Roulette.
Now you’ve read our tips and you’ve got to grips with the basics in our free flash game you’ll be all ready to hit the real money roulette at one of our recommended roulette casinos!